Monday, January 29, 2007

Notes & Scribblings

Just back from the Big City Donut Repository getting all fingerprinted and stuff, and just as I finish nibbling at lunch, I get a call-back from the nice lady who fingerprinted me, telling me that *just like I said* she'd fingerprinted my left index as my left middle finger, and she needed me to come back to restart the whole process.

Picking up my CPL now that I'm back in a state that issues them on a realistic basis is somewhat trying, but now that the process has begun, it feels good to know that in 30 days or so I'll again be all good (they could issue it faster - and many departments do, but after all, this is Bigger City PD...that only issues them at all because they are required to do so by state law...so drags their feet as much as possible)...so, back in tomorrow at 0830 to beat the rush.

The nice the about the BCDR is that unlike many modern municipal buildings, this one actually has a bit of class and art to it - from the brass basketweave door handles and wall sculpture to the bronze jailers keys and patrol officers cap mounted on marble, the lobby presents a respectful tribute to officers past and present.

I'm a somewhat crude soul and history junkie, so would have liked to see garrison-stacked batons used over the period of the departments existence, as well as a display of issue arms...but one can't have everything. Similarly, uniforms representative of the various era would have been a nice touch.

1 comment:

Diamond Mair said...

It's sad that so many courtrooms built today resemble nothing so much as conference rooms .................... had occasion to be in a courtroom in PA 18 years ago - and yes, it was OLD, but the wood used throughout, the bench raised so that one pondered the majesty of justice fairly administered - those overcame {to some extent} the water damage on the plastered/painted areas on the walls .................... I think it was the WPA that gave us so many beautiful municipal buildings ................. the current trend to sterile "boxes" which, when they have windows, the windows don't open, is truly sad ....................... :-(