Sunday, August 18, 2013

Twin Mountain Muffins


I've been, as time and energy allow, working my way through the 1896 Fannie Farmer cookbook - hitting the recipes that I don't actually find repugnant. Since I've yet to make it out of the "Breads" section that hasn't proven a huge challenge yet.

So, for Twin Mountain Muffins...

Flavor: YUM! Fluffy, slightly sweet, very tender. Would make an excellent signature accompaniment at either breakfast or dinner at a diner someplace.

Difficulty: Follow the directions. This one is easy and reasonably fast.

How close did I stick to the original?: I only had a cast iron (not tin) gem pan so used that, and I used the Kitchen-aid Mixer to knock it together. I guesstimated the right oven temperature to be 375F, and it seemed to work.

Now, to the recipe...

Twin Mountain Muffins


1/4 cup butter 3/4 cup milk
1/4 cups sugar 2 cups flour
1 egg 3 tsp baking powder

Cream the butter; Add the sugar and egg well beaten; sift the baking powder with flour and add to the first mixture, alternating with milk. Bake in buttered tin gem pans for 25 minutes. (at 375F - modern addition)

Comments: With a 3.25" wide "cup" in the gem pan, I got four muffins a bit over 3" tall out of the deal. At this size, 1 muffin equals one person. I suspect by going with a cupcake sized pan you'd get more muffins - but expect them to be very filling regardless of size.

No comments: