Sunday, August 25, 2013

Graham Muffins II


I've been, as time and energy allow, working my way through the 1896 Fannie Farmer cookbook - hitting the recipes that I don't actually find repugnant. Since I've yet to make it out of the "Breads" section that hasn't proven a huge challenge yet.



Flavor: Good. Distinctly different from Twin Mountain mufins and with substantially more fiber to it, and a bit more fluffy than the Graham Muffins I recipe. Recommended.

Difficulty: Follow the directions. This one is easy and reasonably fast.

How close did I stick to the original?: I didn't melt the butter (it was room temperature soft) and this  was a mistake - blending would have been much easier if I'd taken the moment to melt the butter. Again, the KitchenAid mixer came into play and I now have a big enough sifter to soak up 3 cups of dry goods - and it is amazing the kind of forearm exercise one of those will give you. Mild re-wording of the recipe for modern/beginning cooks.


Now, to the recipe...

Graham Muffins II

1 cup graham or entire wheat flour 1 tsp salt
1 cup white lour 1 cup Milk
1/4 cup sugar 1 Egg
3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 tbsp melted butter

Mix and sift dry ingredients; add milk gradually and egg well beaten, and melted butter; bake in hot (375F) oven in buttered gem pans for 25 minutes.

Note: For diabetic damage control, substitute 1/4 splenda for 1/4 sugar, and add 1/4 cup additional milk.

No comments: