Saturday, September 5, 2009

On Written Threats, even in jest...

To: SPD
Fr: Gay_Cynic
Re: Counseling the Mis-Guided

I would direct your attention to http://horsesass.org/?p=20034 - specifically the quotes

"One thing to note about yesterday’s pro-health reform rally is that there were no violent confrontations between supporters and counter-protesters… which is really too bad, because with a few thousand of us and only a couple dozen of them, we could’ve really kicked us some teabagger ass."

and

"Next time, perhaps I’ll show up at one of these events armed to the teeth and swinging a samurai sword; betcha that’s worthy of a headline."

I'm a law-abiding gun-owner - law-abiding to the extent that friends have commented on the inconvenience of my attentiveness. I play inside the political process when I object to political issues. I tend to view violence and threats thereof as a last and most desperate resort, and the initiation of the aggressive use of force as a grave moral mis-step.

And I'm amazingly unamused by such bigoted statements and implied (perhaps in jest, perhaps not) threats of mass violence, or the solicitation thereof.

I write to encourage your organization to provide "counseling" to the operator of the quoted site on the notion of "incitement to riot" and the general inadvisability of the solicitation of violence, even in jest.

We live in conflicted and deeply divided times (again, dammit), and the last thing we need is some loon pouring aviation-grade fuel on the fire.

Best Wishes,

GC

I don't solicit police involvement lightly, but...for this kind of crap, I'm willing to make an exception. - GC

No comments: