Sunday, February 4, 2007

Thoughts

This writers block thing seems to be catching, but I shall persevere, and perhaps something vaguely resembling sense will emerge. More likely just stream of consciousness in an effort to kick-start something more coherent...

Was contacted today by a gentleman requesting I interview for a pension adviser position with a well known firm - not quite sure how I feel about that, as fiscal planning is wholly outside my realm of expertise, particularly when it comes to retirement planning. I can just about make it to "gee, it's a good idea" ...but he appears to think my customer service and management experience make me a good candidate. We'll see.

Brunch in the morning...something I was glad to revive when I returned northwards were my Sunday Brunches - little non-bar gatherings where friends gather and gab where we can actually hear each other speak. Corny and homey, perhaps, but I missed it and am glad to revive it.

On other fronts, am planning on popping down to the State Capitol and suggesting that an anti-gun show bill is a bad idea on a number of fronts ranging from "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and on to notions of "Freedom of Assembly", erroneous assumptions, and "making law for the sake of looking busy is a bad notion".

The City of Seattle is on another of its crusades to make life unpleasant - replacing the 6 lane Alaskan Way Viaduct (seismic issues, BIG seismic issues) with a tunnel (originally proposed at 6 lanes and shot down as "costing too bloody much") with 4 traffic lanes...umm...can we say *gridlock*...of course, this is a city that actively discourages building parking facilities on the theory that if driving is sufficiently miserable then folks will be compelled to use public transit - failing to realize that folks and businesses have another option..."move someplace friendlier"...

Just read "Final Target" from John Birmingham, an interesting near-future military SF tale based on "take large U.S.-led multi-national naval task force circa 2071'ish and transplant to 1941", and see how two radically different era's interact with accompanying military and social implications.

One of the more subversive ways of teaching history, in my opinion, is slipping it into popular entertainment. Good stuff.

Beyond that? Not much new, and thus my lack of new entries ...

No comments: