Sunday, February 8, 2009

In response to Notions Capital

Apparently blogger "Notions Capital" does not posses sufficient intestinal fortitude to withstand reasoned comments in oppositon to his/her own views. Thus, my response to his/her post suggesting persons who carry for defense are paranoid/delusional as a class is duplicated in my own space, where it will neither vanish or suffer strange and meaning-changing edits.

____________________________________________________________

In Washington we have it a bit better than folks burdened with the silly "open carry in restaurant" law found in Virginia.

Open carry is legal here, but so is concealed carry (without any silly restaurant rule). There is a notable lack of blood in the streets and wild west shoot-outs, and our per capita rate of homicide and assault (with and without firearms) is substantially lower than more regulated locales. Given the lack of the silly restaurant rule, most folks that carry choose to utilize a CPL in both to minimize unpleasant interactions with "little old ladies of both genders and diverse ages" and the notion that tactically, should all go bad, that some things present better as a grand surprise.

I utilize my CPL daily here. Could be it's because as a greying middle-aged gay man with asthma and sundry health issues that both bare-handed physical confrontation with an assailant and "run away, run away" (after "be someplace trouble isn't", my preferred strategy) doesn't work well when translated to "run 30', fall over gasping and doing the asthma tango"). I assume you've heard of gay-bashing, mugging, and other misadventure?

I have a fire extinguisher in my home and car. I lawfully carry a firearm. And I carry a pocket knife. The first two, I do in order to hedge my bets against disaster and move on; the last, because they are just too darned handy to be without.

Not paranoid or delusional. Prudent. I hope never to need to use a fire extinguisher; I hope never to need to use a firearm for self-defense. My hopes won't make reality go away if I am unlucky.

GC

UPDATE: Yep, at least one paragraph (#3) was mutilated nearly beyond understanding, and what editing he did was of such poor quality that both tone and message were negatively affected.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this has been my experience with mr. Licht also. why he bothers to play copyeditor with blog postings quite escapes me; the internet is not a printed medium, and all he can accomplish by modifying --- or, as you say, mutilating, which given his editorial skills is a justified word --- other people's opinions is to make himself look like a petty-minded egomaniac.

Drang said...

His insistence on editing other people's posts, combined with the fact that he insists on referring to licensed, concealed carry--or open carry, for that matter--of a handgun for self-defense as a "hobby", tells me all I need to know about this child.