Thursday, January 8, 2009

THR Update II

BayouRenaissanceMan rather skilfully dissects recent events regarding TheHighRoad turmoil over on his blog. Please, please, read this dissertation - both as an update regarding the specifics of the THR situation, but just as much as an instructive case study regarding why seemingly trivial things (the THR was originally a bunch of folks in "some configuration", afaik, gathering to save a beloved forum - and the effort grew) really should be VERY CAREFULLY documented, often contractually, really early on.

My own opinion at third remove, having followed this as best I can, is that a theft has occurred of the domain and related assets - and that though I am not a lawyer by any stretch of the imagination, it is my belief that both criminal and civil liability were created thereby. Your mileage may vary.

It is my belief after reading BYM's analysis that what I view as a theft is sufficiently offensive as to justify a certain level of, shall we say, enthusiasm. I know that I, having read BYM's latest piece and other viewpoints, would have grave reservations having any business association with an individual or group of individuals such as hold the THR domain and servers (again, simply my take, your mileage may vary). Not being an attorney, I cannot comment with any certainty on relevant law, but as a private invidividual...were Zeanah (and, depending on the applicability of the statute du jour) his merry band arrested for some variant of grand larceny...I would find serious difficulty in having much sympathy for them, and in resisting the urge to send a box of bon bon's for work well done unto the arresting officers (were I assured that local infernal affairs regulations would not relegate fine bon bons to waste basket status or "confiscation to prevent undue influence" aka "internal affairs snack time").

While I suspect it is futile, I hope that this matter is resolved to Mr. Volk's satisfaction at the earliest possible moment.

GC

No comments: