Sunday, February 8, 2009

Response to Butchery of Earlier Comment at Notions Capital

Mr. Licht.

As a former editor and semi-professional writer I am disappointed.

I have absolutely no issue with your bracketed editorial comments, though I tend towards the view that if you have more than one or two bracketed comments, that a separate editorial comment handles matters more gracefully.

I readily admit that, to speak to a broader audience, I should probably have clarified "CPL=Concealed Pistol License"; that while Open Carry in Washington State does not require a permit, concealed carry does require a permit in this State.

However, in a blog (where length is not a cost issue - 200 words cost the same as 1000) editing for length is silly as a concept. Doing so to save a paltry 26 words (after all, we're not doing hard-copy layout here) would be questionable even if the tone and content of the original piece were not substantially damaged.

I specifically cite the butchery of the third paragraph (original for comparison may be found at nwfreethinker.blogspot.com - leaving analysis to the reader), and can only assume that the edits were specifically intended to reduce coherency and readability.

Tacky, at best. May I suggest you consider a more ethically consistent editorial policy?

2 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

http://weerdbeard.livejournal.com/477370.html

Here's Roadkill's origonal comments, and a cross-link to you!

Thanks for the help!

Mike W. said...

Yeah Licht deleted my comments as well. They were long, since unlike him I included quotes and citations.

Mike's comment policy makes his site a bit of a joke.