Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Michael Phelps - Swimmer and Quite Human

A great h00-raw seems to be getting made over the fact that Michael Phelps apparently (and quite logically, he can't exactly come out and say "why yes, I did thus'n'such") hit that ol' bong pipe.

My question is - so what? The guy was 19 at the time, maybe 22 now (you can tell how much I follow sports), and was busy about the project of growing up - and hadn't quite grokked that if you are going to be naughty, that photographic records are *bad*. It's not as if he were out kicking in doors and terrorizing the locals...

Beyond that, what is the big deal about pot anyway? Aside from a tiny percentage of folks with peanut-grade allergies (seize up, fall over, attempt anaphylactic shock) pot seems pretty darned harmless, and most potheads I've known have been (if anything) excessively mellow.

Yep. Legalize, tax, and regulate pot. Pull the carpet out from under the black market and its' artificially inflated prices, violent conflict resolution methods, and tax-free status - and save money on jails, adjudication, and enforcement in the bargain. Prohibition is simply pissing up a rope - you end up damp, chilly, and smelling funny for no particularly worthy gain.

As for Michael Phelps? He's a helluva swimmer, and unless he takes up a hobby that involves directly hurting *other folks*, what say we let the man tend to his own business.

That concludes the morning rant.

2 comments:

Diamond Mair said...

As my daughter was growing up, of course geared to her maturity level at the time, I told her that yes, mom HAD smoked pot, & if it were LEGAL, would still be smoking it - it didn't leave me hungover/ill/worshipping at the porcelain goddess, etc. It relaxed me, and while I never drove under the influence of pot, I'd trust my reflexes better with pot than I would with alcohol .................... I wasn't going to be one of 'those' parents, who raised hell when they were younger, then wouldn't tolerate their kids pushing the envelope ...............

Semper Fi'
DM

SordidPanda said...

"it's not as if he's kicking in doors and terrorizing the locals..."

You know that sums up my job description :D

But I agree, with a few exceptions for those of us who have other peoples lives depending on our jobs (pilots, commercial drivers, etc) I don't see any logical reason for the continued war on marijuana.