Monday, September 29, 2008

Taxes and Freedom

Fifty-four years ago, the Internal Revenue Code was amended to bar pastors and churches (and other tax-exempt non-profits) from endorsing a political candidates or speaking in opposition to a specific candidate.

In the intervening period, the Internal Revenue "Service" used the suspension of tax-exempt status as a sword over the heads of religous groups and other non-profits who might otherwise engage in free speech regarding a candidate.

Frankly, I think it's tacky (at best) to preach politics from the pulpit. I favor a wide gulf between church and state, being of the view that whichever one starts the fun, that both are diminished by any direct interaction.

I recognize , however, that since I've not observed any angels descending from on high to affirm my position, that the possibility exists I may well be in error - and if for no other reason, trampling other folks freedom and religion in service of my sense of tackiness and/or inflicting my political-religious philosophy on the masses.

Given the distinct lack of divine messengers affirming the correctness of those holding opposing opinions, I expect that, in all likelihood, that this is one of those questions that individual faiths, congregations, and pastors must work out between themselves and their particular peculiar notion of divinity.

In short, whether or not a church or non-profit endorses or demonizes a candidate is none of the business of the Congress, a legislature, or the United States 0r the IRS. There's this funny thing called the First Amendment, that kind of bars the regulation of speech much short of incitement to riot, libel, slander, or yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater.

Oddly enough, we managed our first 178 years as a nation without this bar on free speech - which kind of leads me to the belief that while tacky, the world probably won't end nor will democracy as we know it come to a screeching halt if a few pastors/faiths/congregations speak their mind one way or another about various and sundry candidates and issues.

Towards that end, a bunch of pastors I suspect I mostly disagree with on at least one (and likely more) topics are stepping up to the plate in an attempt to reclaim their rights to freedom of speech and religion.

Bravo, no matter how misguided many of their numbers may be in my considered opinion.

No comments: