Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Innovation

For those of technical bent, this is old news, but I'm reminded (again) of how amazing it was the first time I logged remotely into a Windows PC from the mighty distance of 12' or so away - and then discovered the joys of remote sessions - be they SSH, VNC, RDP, or more exotic (or archaic) protocols.

Being able, from miles away, to be able to have a clients computer desktop (or a server command line session) display on my laptop or PC such that I can just dive in and *help* them rather than laboriously coaching them through a lengthy set of commands whilst trying to visualize their screen in my imagination is nothing short of paradise - throw in that when I need to, I can even toss a file from my box to the clients (say, a pretty little icon that the client can click on to start some function...all without the tedium of really understanding the automagicness of it all. The nice tech just reaches down from the internet, logs on, does his/her magic, confirms with user that everthing is good, logs out and goes about day. In about 1/3 the time normally required.

God, I love this stuff...

No comments: