Saturday, August 24, 2013

Graham Muffins I - Fannie Farmer

As I've mentioned before, as time and energy allow, I've been working my way through the 1896 Fannie Farmer cookbook - hitting the recipes that I don't actually find repugnant. Breads are seldom repugnant.

In a late night cooking adventure, it turned out to be time to try Graham Muffins I (and maybe tomorrow, I'll give II a shot - we'll see).

Flavor: Yum (again). Delicate (not overwhelming) flavor of molasses combines with the graham and other ingredients to produce a somewhat chewy but delightful low-rising (then again, this may be the pan) muffin that doesn't explode into crumbs when approached with butter and a knife. I approve.


Difficulty: Follow the directions. Another easy and reasonably fast recipe.

How close did I stick to the original?: I used the cast iron gem pan (and there was actually enough batter to fill all the cups), and I used the Kitchen-aid Mixer to knock it together. I took care to mix the milk and molasses together (not specified in the original recipe). I guesstimated the right oven temperature to be 375F and the time to 25 minutes. I only have a one cup sifter, so sifted each ingredient into the KitchenAid bowl and let the beater mix them. It worked rather nicely.


Graham Muffins I
1-1/4 cups graham flour 1/3 cup molasses
1 cup white flour 3/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup sour milk 1 tsp salt

Mix and sift dry ingredients; add milk to molasses (mix thoroughly, stirring in), and combine mixtures. Cook in well-buttered iron gem pan at 375F for 25 minutes.

Making Sour Milk: 

Add 1 tsp of  either lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk. To increase or decrease quantity of sour milk successfully, maintain this ratio of acid to milk. 

No comments: