Friday, June 12, 2009

Big Adventures

In the last week, I've found myself joining a bunch of organizations that - while I've continued to work with, support, and say nice things about - I've allowed my memberships to lapse over the years, primarily due to economics.

I'm now an active member of Washington Arms Collectors, the National Rifle Association, and finally, a newly minted life member with the Second Amendment Foundation - all in one week.

Why? And why those membership levels?

Well...WAC, since I'm proposing to show Electric Cars there (even if I can't afford gun-shopping just presently, dammit) it's just POLITE to be an active member when you show up as a table vendor - especially when they are being INCREDIBLY NICE and giving you lotsa tables at a discount. Failure in this would be rude.

The Second Amendment Foundation because they hew closer to my values and preferred political approaches than most 2A advocacy groups - they don't mess around, they pick their battles (and do it well), and they aren't hesitant to meander into a courtroom and deliver a litigious smackdown as needed - and are gracious when other, to remain nameless, groups attempt to steal their thunder. And I *know* the folks over on the other side of the lake, and they're a good bunch.

Finally, the NRA. Lots of folks seem to have issues with them, and I agree that the organization is not adapting with entire grace to the modern age and that it has made some notable mis-steps - however, it's the only 900lb gorilla in the room we've got, and however...clumsy...it might occasionally be, it's OUR 900lb gorilla, and vastly better than being entirely without. I'm looking to work with and support them on a number of fronts in the future, and with that in mind, even if I can't kick loose for a $1000 life membership just presently - I can at least cough up for the 5 year special as insurance against the administrations worst excesses.

It's kind of odd, picking up this many memberships in one fell swoop (and I'm sure there are other worthy orgs out there) but I suspect I'll muddle through. If you haven't joined at least one of the above (SAF or NRA) I'd suggest you consider...as they focus our voices in legislative chambers and courtrooms across the land to vastly greater effect than any of us might have as individuals.

GC

No comments: