Monday, February 15, 2016

A Weekend Away...

Plans...evolve.

Thursday afternoon found me in Bugscuffle, TX rapidly surrounded by friends, fellowship, food and a far healthier political and social environment than I am used to enjoying. Mine hosts were accommodating, the quarters most excellent and the company could have been little better.

Over the weekend I enjoyed some great lasagne, a batch of jambalaya from a roughly 90 year old recipe, and a wide variety of other culinary pleasures - and got to share several versions of my baked cheesy grits (one now known as "Tex-Mex Shepherds Pie") with friends, and even introduce a long-time southerner for the first time to that quintessential southern delicacy, the lard shortening biscuit.

One friend had an amazing new adventure, a kidney stone, that he seems eager to avoid repeating. He seems to be recovering well, and what with one thing or another my planned Sunday departure morphed to a Tuesday afternoon departure.

I had the opportunity to tour a gorgeous early Craftsman era mini-mansion (and only damaged myself slightly lurching through a subterranean tunnel therein) in astonishingly good shape after years of neglect - almost all of the original woodwork present, and only moderate weather damage.

Y'all know who you are. Thank you for a wonderful weekend(ish). I hope to see you all again soon, and ideally before October.

While as with any venture there were some bumps in the road, I am deeply grateful for this time away from home.

2 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

My brother from another mother, it's always a delight to see you! Looking forward to October when we can do it all over again, plus shooty goodness.

Old NFO said...

Good to see you, and glad you enjoyed the food! Thanks for the contributions too!