"I know this case has elicited strong passions. And in the wake of the verdict, I know those passions may be running even higher," he said.
"I now ask every American to respect the call for calm reflection from two parents who lost their young son. And as we do, we should ask ourselves if we're doing all we can to widen the circle of compassion and understanding in our own communities.
"We should ask ourselves if we're doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis," Obama said.
First off, what makes "gun violence" so special? Isn't the goal to reduce all unjustified violence and reduce crime generally?
I'll play. Five simple rules to teach *all* youth that will reduce needless violence. This approach is even better, because it's not racist.
1. Don't start shit. That is, don't be the first to throw a punch or pull a gun or a knife - or back someone into a corner where they think you are about to do those things.
2. Be polite. Assume everyone you meet is carrying a gun and knows how to use it. Don't volunteer for perforation.
3. Don't get sucked into dipshittery. Call it thug culture or whatever, it is a trap - and likely to get your ass dead.
4. Respect/disrespect is a trap for morons - also likely to get your ass dead. Don't be a moron.
5. Don't initiate the aggressive use of force. Whether it's taking someones stuff, kicking in their door or sticking up a bodega - in most of the country, there can be major *fatal* surprises waiting.
As someone else put it, summarizing the above - don't be a dumbass.