Monday, September 12, 2011

Coffee & Offices

New job, new office.

Having parted ways with my former employer, I've landed a new job with a group whose goals I believe in that's populated by decent and down to earth folks - all very cool things.

Like any new job, there's the challenge of learning the way the new team does things, and usually some kind of physical challenge or another involved someplace.

In this case, I'm looking at coffee (the stuff of life) not being terribly convenient...and an office that's really nice, but so dead quiet that mere thought rattles the windows. After a bit of contemplating, I have some solutions..

I've not been a fan of Keurig in the past as it seemed like locking yourself into a proprietary system that didn't have any real guarantee of continuing - something that didn't thrill me. However, if I'm only making coffee for *me*, keeping muss and fuss to an absolute minimum...the Keurig canister system seems to be made of win with its' canister system, eliminating loose grounds and filters.

One Keurig-style coffee machine, coming up.



I work better with *some* kind of background noise to keep the creative juices flowing, but not so much as to irritate co-workers. After a bit of pondering, found a glorified clock radio with an integrated iPhone dock.

It's not the art-deco piece I'd like (sadly, nobody is making those), but it's at least got some warmth to it, I can play the work-safe iPod tunes on there at a pleasantly muted volume, and I got a "floor-model" deal on it.

I'll call that a win..and still pretty darned happy with the new job.

5 comments:

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Congrats on the new job!

I keep looking at that radio and thinking that with a little brass "inlay" carefully glued on to highlight the angles, it'd transform handily into art deco.

BobG said...

Coffee and tunes; both are much needed.
Isn't coffee one of the four major food groups?

Christina RN LMT said...

Congratulations!

I wish I could listen to "my" music while working, but I doubt many of my clients would relax to Linkin Park or Iron Maiden. :D

Drang said...

We have a Keurig maker. It's actually the second one, the first got fried in a power surge, we went out and bought a second. We have two of the "My K-Cup" things, and bought some "k-caps", which can be used to recycle old k-cups with whatever coffee you have to hand. (For non-Seattleites, we ALL get LOTS of coffee duriong the holidays...)
Lots of sources for mail-order k-cups, too, including a few on FaceSpace.

Mike W. said...

Congrats on the new job! That's the same kind of coffeemaker we have here at The Firm. I just don't drink coffee.